Dvla inspection and paperwork.

The place to ask about kits, current prices, lead time etc.

Dvla inspection and paperwork.

Postby alchilds69 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Hi guys, does anyone know whatdvla forms I need to change the logbook details. And what is involved in getting the paper work sorted. Ive phoned the Dvla ( not exactly helpful with info) a few times and keep getting told different things as what I have to do to change the logbook details. Ive been told twice mow that it needs a full iva test. I hope not as that is why I bought a sahara in the first place.
What did you guys?
Ta al
alchilds69

Re: Dvla inspection and paperwork.

Postby Damian.b » Tue May 24, 2011 9:52 pm

this site explains the process quite well http://www.nsra.org.uk/newforum/showthread.php?t=23185
Though it does vary slightly at each DVLA office. I to found that attempting to phone the DVLA, you can no longer phone the local office direct, was like talking to a brick wall. I went to my local office (Northampton) and they were really helpful. I explained that it was a new body put onto an unmodified chassis and original running gear i.e engine , gearbox, and axles, etc.They told me to get an MOT before I submitted the forms, basically you get it MOT'd on the VIN number and you can drive the vehicle to an MOT test without number plates as long as it's pre booked and the vehicle is insured (you can get a vehicle insured on the VIN number as well, just explain what you're doing to the insurance company, I used Adrian flux), you must not fit your original number plates at this stage, but make sure the VIN plate is attached and the chassis VIN is clearly visible.
Once MOT'd I took the paperwork, plus the original V5, receipts for the body, pictures of the vehicle before, during , and after buliding. I also took the build manual, basically the more supporting evidence the better. They went through the forms with me to make sure it was all correct, you will need to give your vehicle a name I used NCF Sahara as you can't use Landrover, and then I paid the fee plus the fee the the TAX. Most people are then sent a date for the VIC (Vehicle Identity Check) normally a couple of weeks after. They are purely checking the chassis VIN matches. In my case the chap on the counter asked me when I would like the check done, so I said as soon as possible, so he checked and said you can have it done today if you can get it here (note you can't drive it to the VIC inspection). So I got a local Recovery Guy to take it over on the bacck of his truck, again take all the paperwork you've got. The inspector came out checked the chassis, and VIN plate numbers, engine number, etc. He was happy with it and gave me a form to allow me to get number plates made up if I needed to, and said I'd receive the TAX in the post in 48 hours and a new V5 in 2 weeks. So went home, fitted number plates, informed the insurance company of the registration number. The tax turned up 48 hours later, also areplacement MOT with the registration number on it, and V5 2 weeks later. Job done.
Damian.b

Re: Dvla inspection and paperwork.

Postby alchilds69 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:15 pm

Fantastic exactly what I needed to know, thanks. by the how much was the inspection fee?
alchilds69

Return to General Questions