Performance on road

The place to ask about kits, current prices, lead time etc.

Performance on road

Postby terrainvehicles » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Do you guys find the on road performance of the sahara is improved compared to the much heavier donor discovery? i know most if not all of the ones made on here are off road toys with huge tyres, so how are they off-road when compared to the disco 1?
terrainvehicles

Re: Performance on road

Postby simeon » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:23 am

I run mine as my daily drive as well as greenlaning, on the road it is as well mannered as the Disco, but with much less body roll. Off road it seriously out performs a standard Disco, much more stable due to the lower centre of gravity, a good 3" more ground clearance, better attack and departure angles, better axle articulation.

Like Nick's demonstrator, mine is fitted with 33/1250/15's and these push the gearing up by around 11%, which does "dull" the on road acelleration in fifth gear a little, in low range it isn't noticable. I have got hold of a Defender transfer box(1.4:1), which has a slightly higher reduction than the standard Disco one(1.2:1) but it's still sat in the garage so I can't give a verdict on it yet!

It isn't nessacery to fit uprated suspension as the decrease in overall weight makes the suspension stiffer anyway.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, You must have an electrical problem!
simeon
Site Admin

Postby Henry » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Had been thinking about this, Simeon, did you ever get to fit the Defender transfer box?

Our Defender runs on 235/85/16's (about 31" diameter) and is noticably livelier in 5th than the Disco, but with a reduced top end of course.
The Disco I have has done about 145k so I was thinking a new clutch assy and arm would be a good idea while its apart as I know its the original in there.

Anybody else have any comments?

Cheers, H.
Henry

Postby simeon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:23 pm

The Defender transfer box is still sat in the garage, will probably be next year before it gets fitted as I need to get my spare gearbox overhauled before it can all go in.
simeon
Site Admin

Postby richardh » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi folks, i'm running 37 inch rubber (circumference is 325cm) on the standard axle and the driveability is poor unsurprisingly at higher speeds
Any ideas what i can do to the diffs / diff ratio to make this more friendly?
It barely moves at 4k revs and needs 2nd gear very low down, flat out is possibly 60mph if the speedo worked!
Got my Traka kit being made up ready for a few weeks time.

Someone suggested that the diffs won't be strong enough and will snap half shafts (though the ratios will be better). I could look for a pair of 101fc axels, convert them for coil springs, fit the auto transfer box and should get something reasonable.
Alternativly fit a small block chevy with a 383 crank and a th400 box. (Hardly Locost)

Another option i heard was that the standard Rangie diffs (3.54:1), the gearing may well be a bit 'tall'. I could fit a couple of Land Rover series diffs (4.7:1) if i ensure i have 10spine half-shafts. They are a straight swap?

What have you folks done?
richardh

Postby Henry » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Doesn't Ashcroft, or someone similar, do a low ratio transfer box or it it just for the low ratio's, if you see what I mean....
H
Henry

Postby simeon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:07 pm

The standard Disco & Rangie diffs are 3.54:1, Series diffs are 4.7:1.

Series & 200 tdi engined vehicles have 10 spline diffs, 300tdi and later have 24 spline diffs, so you would need to swap all halfshafts & drive members for 200tdi ones to fit series diffs to a 300 engined Disco.

Ashcrofts will do you pretty much any rover diff ratio you like, plus they do a conversion for the transfer box to change the overall ratio, but it only alters the high range.
simeon
Site Admin

Postby richardh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:48 am

Ok, cheers. so i could look for a 300tdi engine and change the diff ratio to 4.7:1 or the new 4.75:1 ones
sounds like a plan for the winter then.
First off is to get the new Traka body on in the next few weeks and then the fun with the v5 change. :(
richardh

Postby 1gp » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:39 am

I have a defender transfer box in my disco , and its not the way forward really. in 5th gear it just revs far to high and you feel like you need another gear. on my a/t tyres which i use for road use, which are 245/75/16 it revs really high 4000 at 70mph. when i fit my insa st 265 /16 it takes a age to hit 60mph and dont like hills in 5th gear, and you have to use 4th gear . your forever up and down the box.
1gp

Return to General Questions