seats in the back?

The place to ask about kits, current prices, lead time etc.

seats in the back?

Postby terrainvehicles » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:31 pm

i have just seen the 4 seat version of the sahara which i really like, and it made me wonder what the laws are on having seats in the back of the normal 2 seat one? i was thinking of putting defender bench seats in the back so i can fold them down and put the cover on but still use it with 4 or more people, but im not sure about what the regulations on seats in the back of a pickup are??
terrainvehicles

Re: seats in the back?

Postby simeon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:05 pm

It's a bit of a grey area if the seats are side facing. seatbelts must be fitted, but on side facing seats they have to be lap belts, no-one under a certain height (can't remember what height) can travel in side facing seats/restrained by a lap belt.

If you were to fit a pair of forward facing seats, so long as they have three point belts, no problems!

I've carried people around in the Series (no roof, no belts, bench seats) and Plod didn't like it, although he knew I was breaking no laws and could do nothing about it!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, You must have an electrical problem!
simeon
Site Admin

Postby PeterJ » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:16 pm

There may be a "type approval" issue - but I'm definitely no expert! - because the Disco was only type approved for forward facing seats, not for side facing. (I wonder if that also applies to seats-in-a-row count - in which case my 2 front facing side by side is not the same as the original 3 front facing...hmmm...)

Thinking about it though, the Disco WAS approved with side facing dickie seats though so actually you could argue that side. Whether that only applies if they are inside the body shell or not though would be worth checking?

Of course, in practise it would be a very picky VOSA inspection that checked that far into it, but the bigger question is whether the insurance company could use it as an excuse to not payout in an accident - or worse declare you as uninsured and then plod would defintiely be interested in feeling your collar!
PeterJ

Postby rebel_eddie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:53 pm

I wonder how the law stands regarding having rear facing seats?
Eddie D rebel_eddie :-)
rebel_eddie

Return to General Questions