Registration / DVLA / MOT

The place to ask about kits, current prices, lead time etc.

Registration / DVLA / MOT

Postby richardh » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:36 am

I know this keeps coming up but it seems the rules change too in lieu of LEZ etc.

I read a forum on conversion here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=48496&st=40 but it still isn't that clear what to do.
Mine is ready to get the cage on now (god knows how) so i thought i'd start looking at the paperwork side.

It seems that if the weight on the v5 is over 3000kg then its a class 7 mot! Not the normal class 4.
If the body type is altered to "light 4x4 utility" then that gets you tugged over by the folks in blue as it doesn't match their computer system description. (although its the tax class that is more important for obvious reasons)
So do i alter the weight to under 3000kg, change the body type to "light 4x4 utility" and the colour?

If you remove the "Estate" bit then you then get hit with the LEZ costs?

Doubt i can leave the Range Rover bit on there either but unsure.

I'm thinking about leaving the rear part of the chassis on mine (at least for now), change to L4x4U and the weight and see where that takes me.

I've got a cherished plate on it at present which i definately want to keep (i'd happy put it on my car or van which is the plan later)

Anyone got any ideas or anyone in the know?

Cheers, Rich
PS it's the Traka i'm doing if that makes a difference......
richardh

Re: Registration / DVLA / MOT

Postby foxtrottransit » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:14 pm

I'm currently in the process of building an Arctic and have been reading up the process of getting it on the road. I find it difficult to understand why you are allowed to drive it to and from the mot test before it's registered but to have its visual inspection at the dvla place it has to be put on a trailer or such like. It all seems a bit bizarre if you ask me.
foxtrottransit

Postby DocTrucker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:45 am

Is there still a visual inspection? THings appear to be changing, but don't know if this only relates to insurance issues.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check
DocTrucker

Postby DocTrucker » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:52 am

That may have been a false alarm! Think this is the scheme we are following:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

That said I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been/gets asked to trailer the vehicle in for a visual check since 26th of October 2015.
DocTrucker

Postby hodgei » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:36 pm

Ooh - that looks interesting...
If we don't need to have a visual inspection, it will make things a lot cheaper / easier.

( that's if I ever get off my ar5e and build the blinking thing )

Iain.
hodgei

Return to General Questions