300TDi wiring diagram

Ask how to do something, or post details of how you did it.

300TDi wiring diagram

Postby Henry » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Been looking all over for the correct wiring diagram for a '98 Disco, searched the forums, etc. I already have an appropriate Haynes manual, but would like something that originated from LR before I start to remove some of the spagetti (and there is a lot as it was an ES premium with all the electrical options). I was hoping to get the info by downloading the Rave data but apparently the wiring info. is limited and I'm not too sure about the rigmarole you need to go through to do it.
Not in too much hurry as I'm still prepping the back of the chassis, or will be when it gets a bit warmer, (-9 here last might) before taking the dash out to replace it with a non-airbag one - I'm still after one of those too!
Anyone have any suggestions please?
Henry

Re: 300TDi wiring diagram

Postby AUS Sahara » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:19 am

what sort of detail do you need, I have plenty of 300 Tdi diagrams - like this one for the starting and charging:

Charging and Starting 300 TDI web.jpg
Cheers

AUS Sahara
AUS Sahara

Postby AUS Sahara » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:20 am

If this is the sort of thing your after then PM me your email address and I will send them through.
Cheers

AUS Sahara
AUS Sahara

Postby Henry » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:09 pm

PM on its way - thanks Aus!
Henry

Postby Henry » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 am

Aus, not sure if you are getting the pm's - anyway, I'd be grateful for any info you have on 300tdi wiring...

Cheers, Henry.
Henry

Postby terrainvehicles » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:19 pm

i can provide you with wiring diagrams, though specifics of what you are looking for would help as there are more than 300 pages...
terrainvehicles

Postby Henry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

terrainvehicles wrote:i can provide you with wiring diagrams, though specifics of what you are looking for would help as there are more than 300 pages...

Thank you! As my original post my donor is a ES Premium (registered in 98 but probably made at the end of 97) so it has all the electrical gubbins, two sunroofs, two air bags, air con and abs on top of all the usual electrical stuff. Aus has posted a diagram and has also kindly offered to email me what he has. A diagram like that posted in Aus's earlier post showing the extras mentioned above would be great, I have W/S manual on CD but that only explains the mechanical side of the electrics. My main concern is that I remove something that I shouldn't, so that would be most helpful. Incidentally I'm not phased by electrickery!
Cheers, H.
Henry

Postby PeterJ » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:05 am

Hi Henry,

I had pretty much the same base vehicle as you. In my case, it just removed the looms that were no longer connected and left the rest in place.

In particular:

1) the loom for the Sunroofs runs down the drivers side pillar and just unplugs from a connector in the footwell.
2) The loom for the rear doors' electric windows/door switches etc. runs under the carpet in the rear footwell and just unplugs from a connector underneath the cubby box
3) There are a lot of "spare" wires left over in the loom that runs to the rear door (wiper, speaker/amp connectors, towbar electrics) In my case I unplugged the entire rear loom (2 BIG connectors in the passenger footwell) and then laid the entire loom out on the lounge floor and untaped each section, teasing out the wires I didn't need and then yanked the pins for those wires out of the back of the connectors so the loom was much smaller. Then re-taped and put in some split convoluted tubing from Car Builder Solutions, slightly tape wrapped that to keep it all together and it ended up a much neater loom.
4) If you have electric front seats and you aren't keeping them then the looms for those also all head towards the cubby box for the switches then on to under the passenger seat. I removed almost all of these, but i did leave the main power feed and fuse box under the seat for anything i think to add in future.

My recommendation is to remove the sunroof and rear looms before you remove the body, then do the rest before you put the new sahara body on top - i only decided to remove the other looms AFTER putting the sahara body on, and thats just incredibly hard work by comparison as you end up hanging upside down in the passenger foot well cursing everything!

I decided to keep the Abs and airbags as they are in good nick, and keeps me safe "on road" on my way to playing "off road" :)

Also don't forget the CD changed under the drivers seat which can end up getting very wet so you may want to move/remove it!
PeterJ

Postby Henry » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks Peter, I plan on going right back to the main fuse box with the stuff I don't want to avoid confusion in future.

PeterJ wrote: Hi Henry,

I had pretty much the same base vehicle as you. In my case, it just removed the looms that were no longer connected and left the rest in place.

Comments:
PeterJ wrote:1) the loom for the Sunroofs runs down the drivers side pillar and just unplugs from a connector in the footwell.
2) The loom for the rear doors' electric windows/door switches etc. runs under the carpet in the rear footwell and just unplugs from a connector underneath the cubby box

Yep, they are curled up in the passengers side footwell as I type this!
PeterJ wrote:3) There are a lot of "spare" wires left over in the loom that runs to the rear door (wiper, speaker/amp connectors, towbar electrics) In my case I unplugged the entire rear loom (2 BIG connectors in the passenger footwell) and then laid the entire loom out on the lounge floor and untaped each section, teasing out the wires I didn't need and then yanked the pins for those wires out of the back of the connectors so the loom was much smaller. Then re-taped and put in some split convoluted tubing from Car Builder Solutions, slightly tape wrapped that to keep it all together and it ended up a much neater loom.

Thats handy, I bet SWMBO loved that! I've used similar trunking from ScrewFix for the rear loom on my Defender, ok but all I could get was white, still its dirty now...
PeterJ wrote:4) If you have electric front seats and you aren't keeping them then the looms for those also all head towards the cubby box for the switches then on to under the passenger seat. I removed almost all of these, but i did leave the main power feed and fuse box under the seat for anything i think to add in future.

I'm sort of planning to put the electric heated seats in our other Disco so was planning to remove all that and swap the center console switch plate over. I'm on the look-out for a pair of seats, probably black or green leather, from a 2 door car (MGTF?) as I will have a reasonable amount of space between the seats and bulkhead and tilting seats would be useful.
PeterJ wrote:My recommendation is to remove the sunroof and rear looms before you remove the body, then do the rest before you put the new sahara body on top - i only decided to remove the other looms AFTER putting the sahara body on, and thats just incredibly hard work by comparison as you end up hanging upside down in the passenger foot well cursing everything!

Yep, my thoughts exactly!
PeterJ wrote:I decided to keep the Abs and airbags as they are in good nick, and keeps me safe "on road" on my way to playing "off road" :)

My 'bags are out of date so they will have to go.....
PeterJ wrote:Also don't forget the CD changed under the drivers seat which can end up getting very wet so you may want to move/remove it!

Yes, I'm not sure what to do with that - current plan is to mount it up out of the way or just junk it and get something more modern. The illumination on the dispaly has packed up but I expect its easily fixed...

Sorry for the waffle and again thanks for the tips.
Cheers, H.
Henry

Return to The Workshop