DIY side exit exhaust

Ask how to do something, or post details of how you did it.

DIY side exit exhaust

Postby simeon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Just prior to the Billing show I found (poked) a hole in my exhaust :( .
While I was at the show I was looking at a very nice side exit sinlge silencer system from Griffin Performance, The only problem being the £300 +vat price tag.

When I removed the pipe yesterday to perform temporary bodgery for the MOT, I found that the rear section of the pipe was beyond repair being perforated with rust holes all the way along the top of the rear section:
Exhaust_old.jpg
Manky exhaust

Not having the cash to hand for the new system, I dug out a pipe I had been given from a 110 Defender that was nearly new. The centre box was far too big to fit, and the rear section was the wrong shape & far too long, so out came the :grind and the welder. I came up with this:
exhaust_new.jpg
"New" exhaust

The centre box was the tail box from the Defender system, and the hangers were salvaged from another rotten Disco silencer that was loitering about, it connects to the Disco header using the flange and pipe also cut off the spare silencer

It did take most of the day cutting & tacking it together under the truck to get the right fit before I could finally weld it up, but I'm quite pleased with the end result:
exhaust_fitted.jpg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, You must have an electrical problem!
simeon
Site Admin

Re: DIY side exit exhaust

Postby KJB1000 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Much better! Good job!
Why Do Things The Easy Way?

How Hard Can It Be?
KJB1000

Return to The Workshop