re-enforcing the pick-up floor pan

Ask how to do something, or post details of how you did it.

re-enforcing the pick-up floor pan

Postby terrainvehicles » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:22 pm

The piece of chequer plate which serves as the floor in the pick-up bit (im sure there is a proper name for it, but i cant think of it) seems to be quite flimsy and not really supported. i will be re-enforcing it in mine and was wondering whether anyone else has done that, or has anyone had any problems with damaging it when putting things in the back? the chances are high that at some point there will be an engine or two put in there.
terrainvehicles

Re: re-enforcing the pick-up floor pan

Postby Henry » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 pm

If you are going to put something heavy in the rear load space you have two options as I see it:
1, ask Nick to add extra bracing, or DIY when you get the kit, or,
2. make an additional removeable floor, 3/4 ply or similar, that can be put in when needed.
I certainly would not put "an engin or two" in my 'fender with out some sort of support.

H
Henry

Postby terrainvehicles » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:44 pm

i will give it some more bracing and make up an additional floor.
the engine thing is obviously an extreme, though at some point it will end up carrying about that sort of weight in there, but if its just chequer plate floor wont it bend if you stand on it?
terrainvehicles

Postby rebel_eddie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Chequer plate is called 5 Bar tread plate.

Would recommend adding extra tubing with tabs welded on as the strength is very good and approximately 2/3rd the weight of box section of the same dimension.
Eddie D rebel_eddie :-)
rebel_eddie

Return to The Workshop