Electrics

Ask how to do something, or post details of how you did it.

Electrics

Postby Tom Anderson » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi Build complete and awaiting DVLA to send new V5 form but have a problem -the electrics and lights are working OK when ignition is off but when ignition is on or engine running switching on side lights sends power to the head lights as well. The light from the headlight (side lights on) is not as strong as it is when the headlight switch is on. I have checked my wiring from the origional wiring to the head and side lights and all seems ok. I have changed the multi function box behind the fuses -but still have the problem any ideas please. Cheers
Tom Anderson

Re: Electrics

Postby Henry » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:43 pm

Unless anyone else has a better idea (!) try taking your bulbs out and do a continuity check through the wiring.
Lights that behave unusually can sometimes be caused by earth issues, especially as you describe the headlights as being dimmer than usual when they shouldn't be on.

Good luck...

Edit: Just a thought, not sure what your donor is but did they ever fit the dim/dip system to Disco's - my '98 Defender has it but I don't remember it being on any of our D1's.
Henry

Postby Tom Anderson » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi Henry and edit thanks for that - yes the wiring diagram shows a dim/dip relay and resistor on 1995 models on and mine is a 1995 but I don't know what a dim/dip is ( being a bit dim myself!!) any info please Cheers
Tom Anderson

Postby Henry » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Tom, basically it was law around that time (that has now been recinded I believe) to have the headlights coming on at a reduced power when the side-lights are on. It shows up well on a 'fender because the headlights and side lights are seperate where as the Disco lights have the side lights in the headlight bowls. Sounds like the dim/dip scenario to me, if you need further info try searching LR4x4 forum, I know it comes up on there occasionally as it can be a PITA! There is a description on how to disable it there too I think.
Off to look at you pictures of your truck now.....
Cheers, H.
Henry

Postby alchilds69 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi
I had the same fault on my truck. After much chasing wiring around I found giving the head lights better earths solved the problem. The fault was in nearside in my truck. I also disconnected the ballast resistor bolted to the bulkhead it is the gold heatsink resistor on the nearside. This allows just the side light to come on with out the reduced dipped beam.
alchilds69

Postby simeon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:53 pm

it will be the dim/dip function. usually the resistor is burned out, so the headlamps work normally, if you unplug the resistor which is screwed to the bulkhead it will go away!

Had to do this on mine to fit HID headlamps, as it upset the ballasts.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, You must have an electrical problem!
simeon
Site Admin

Return to The Workshop