Fitting the windows

Post your requests for build & repair advice here.

Fitting the windows

Postby PeterJ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi All,

Its been a frustrating evening here fitting the windows - largely due to my own ham fistedness!

Anyone any advice on whats the best way to get them in? I've gone for a sliding approach with a slight diagonal angle so when the rear most part is slid forward you get a little more elbow room :) Therefore I'm using some of the W shape window trim from Woolies trim.

I think my problem is just that i'm cutting the perspex a little too tall so i'm having to bend it quite a bit to get it to bow in enough to drop into the slots - 2 bits cracked due to the bending. THe problem I had was I then cut one a few mms short and it fitted easily but then rocked around front to rear as it was too sloppy.

I suspect I just need to cut somewhere in between, but before I do, anyone any good advice on how to get the blessed things in

Cheers all

Peter
PeterJ

Re: Fitting the windows

Postby simeon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:54 pm

here's what I did, and it works really well.

cut the front piece as a diamond shape, parallel to the front edge of the frame and make it the full height of the inside of the frame, because of the shape you can put it in the frame and rotate it into position against the outside of the frame. bond it in with polyurethane glazing adhesive.

for the rear (sliding) bit: out of your glazing sheet cut 3 strips the depth of the inside of the frame and bond them in, so that the channel is equal width all the way round the frame. then cut 3 more strips that will fit along the bottom, back and top of the frame. bond in the top and back ones, leave the bottom one out for now.

I used the disco window rubber. Cut 3 pieces of window rubber, top, back and bottom. put the top rubber in, then cut the pane so that when it' is placed in the bottom of the frame it wil just pass under the top of the frame. Slide the pane all the way forward then carefully slide the remaining strip under the window. Next, work the window rubber under the pane by pushing it in under the pane, slide the pane back, push some more in, slide the pane back...... until you have the rubber completely home.

I'll take some photo's and measurements in the mornring and put them up here.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, You must have an electrical problem!
simeon
Site Admin

Postby simeon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:13 am

some badly drawn pictures :D

window1.gif
window1.gif (5.17 KiB) Viewed 4869 times

panes.gif
panes.gif (3.8 KiB) Viewed 4869 times

probably still not very clear, will post photo's.
simeon
Site Admin

Postby simeon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:22 pm

here you can see the front pane bonded in position, and the 3 spacers around the outer edge of the frame & the packings and rubber channel along the top and rear edges are in place.
IMG00254.jpg

place the sliding pane into the frame, without the bottom packing or rubber fitted.
IMG00256.jpg

the sliding pane should just pass into the frame at the top without any need to bend.
IMG00255.jpg

push the pane up into place in the top channel, then slide the bottom packing under the pane.
IMG00257.jpg

push the bottom channel as far under the pane as you can, then slide the window backward, then push the window and the rubber forward, repeat until the rubber is fully in place.
IMG00259.jpg

this is what I used for the packings / spacers. 25mm upvc edge trim from B&Q, Barcode No. 5011141094884. the peices around the outside are full width (25mm), the packings under the rubber were trimmed down to about 19mm wide. It has a tapered profile on one edge.
IMG00262.jpg

1 window re-fitted!
IMG00250.jpg

Hope this helps.
simeon
Site Admin

Postby PeterJ » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Simeon,
thanks for those, I'll have a proper look at what bits I've got left tomorrow ..... I like those latches-where did you get them from?
PeterJ

Postby simeon » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:37 pm

The window catches are from the Rocky Mountain doortops for the series landies. I spoke to Martin Hogan, the U.K. supplier for Rocky Mountain products when I was at Billing and he is happy to supply them, as I can't find them for sale anywhere.

You can contact them >>here<<.

I think he charged me £10 for two complete catches.
simeon
Site Admin

Postby simeon » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:05 pm

Martin Hogan can't supply the catches anymore, but Part No. 2071/100 from Albert Jagger LTD. is almost identical, and works just as well.

http://www.albert-jagger.co.uk/products/door-window-fittings/window-fittings
simeon
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical & Structural