ABS and aircon - will they fit in a Sahara?

Post your requests for build & repair advice here.

ABS and aircon - will they fit in a Sahara?

Postby Henry » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Has anyone got a 300tdi Sahara that has retained the ABS and aircon?

I asked Nick if he knew if there was a Sahara that had kept the aircon, he thought there was, but couldn't remember who's it was. The a/c fans are in front of the radiator so could be a problem.

While moving the old girl about at the weekend I noticed that the ABS takes up quite a bit of space in the nearside engine bay. Not really a problem as my battery(s) will be going under the passenger seat, ala Defender, but I had planned to relocate the airbox to that area.

I ask because my donor, an ES Premium, has these bits and I would like to keep them, may-be there wont be room?

Thanks, H.
Henry

Re: ABS and aircon - will they fit in a Sahara?

Postby PeterJ » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi Henry,

With Aircon, it's a tricky question - certainly on mine the fans and air con cooler was indeed in front of the radiator so you couldn't fit the bonnet, but I believe that Nick now does a design with a longer "nose" that can accont for this, so that should be solved. The next problem is the air con pump - on the V8 engine this is the top left most item on the fanbelt and the bracket that goes from the suspension strut to the top left of the radiator (also holding the coolant expansion/tank) fouls on this so you would have to make a different bracket. However! I believe the air con pump is in a different location on the TDI so you may be fine if you are diesel.

Wih the ABS it's a bit of an easier question - yes the controller thing (sorry can't think of the correct term!) does take up quite a bit, but I found that if you trip the wheelarch metal that it sits on close to the front end of the unit then you can still close the bonnet. I then used a bit of thin plate to put a vertical shroud around the pump to protect it from spray etc.

I was stil able to put the battery up above it, but because mine is the petrol, the throttle assembly fouls on the corner of the battery. Luckily i opted for the red top optima which is slightly smaller than a standard battery so I had just enough room to slide it out towards the edge to make way.

In my case to solve the problem of the air box I found an old Range Rover circular air box on ebay and then made up some brackets that bolt to the top of teh radiator and hold the airbox across the front of the engine in between the top edge of the radiator and the fanbelt.

Hopefully that all helps! - Theres some more info and some pics on my blog at http://mostlypyjamas.wordpress.com/ that may help a bit - anything that doesn't make sense though, just ask :)
PeterJ

Postby alchilds69 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:50 pm

hi henry
my sahara has the longer "nose" on it. similar to the later aircon defenders. im fairly sure nick made them longer to accomodate the condensor for the aircon. if space is an issue around the battery area for the ABS block. why not put the battery in the cab. ive mounted my battery (it is a "100" size battery) behind the cubby box. i had to cut it a bit it fits nicely and the cables are run through the centre consol to a cut off switch. this give lots of extra space in the engine bay.
good luck
alchilds69

Postby Henry » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for such a detailed reply!

It is a 300tdi, so the configuration of the rad and aircon may well be different to the V8. I probably speak with Nick again and ask him for a measurement from a point on the engine to, say, the back of the bonnet frame when closed - that way I can perhaps get an idea if it will work. If I remember correctly the a/c pump is also at the top left of the tdi engine but because it is narrower than the V8 it may be ok - I can always modify the bracket a little if needs be.

The info about the ABS it's most helpful. We have had Disco's with and without ABS and I'd prefer to keep it especially as this will predominantly be a road going truck with a bit of greenlaneing when on holiday etc. Airfilter wise, I think there is a round type RR air filter (off a Rover SD1) in the shed somewhere, I had thought about using that originally but quite like the flat filter in the 300tdi. I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

I have looked at your blog, and worked out it was your truck, it helped me decide on my iteration of Sahara, again a variation on the standard theme, but I'll check back there for a closer look.

Cheers, H.
Henry

Postby Henry » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Al, thanks also for the reply - I'm about to time out of the Interweb at work so will look at your reply at home where there are no restrictions!

Cheers, H.
Henry

Postby Henry » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:46 pm

Henry wrote:Al, thanks also for the reply - I'm about to time out of the Interweb at work so will look at your reply at home where there are no restrictions!
Cheers, H.

Ok, sorry about that, back home now - we only get 30mins (lunch) to use the internet at work before it times out!

I'll ask Nick about the long nosed version and see what he thinks.

Battery - I plan to fab a box and place it under the passenger seat, part way through the floor, similar to a Defender and run the cables up the middle, as you suggest. Battery access won't be great, but I plan to use some suitable Anderson connectors for connecting my tyre inflator, jump leads etc.

I have some other plans for the area behind the seats. As a matter of interest, how much space do you have behind your seats and which seats did you use?

Cheers, H.
Henry

Postby AUS Sahara » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Henry,

I'm using the ABS pump from a D2 for my ABS and traction control - the pump is normally mounted on the inner wing on the passenger side, I'm installing it where the battery is supposed to go (on the firewall) and putting 2 batteries behind the cab in the tray - see my build pix.

I also intend to bring over the climate control / AC from a D2 in the future - before summer gets here in Sydney!

Hope this helps.
Cheers

AUS Sahara
AUS Sahara

Postby Henry » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Ok, thanks for that.
That's where my ABS pump is, had forgotten all about it and I was planning to put the air cleaner there, but I'm having other ideas now.
As above, it depends on what Nick has to say about the long nosed version for air-con - I'm collecting (another) set of questions to send about various things.
Cheers, H.
Henry

Postby simmonj » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi Henry,

My Sahara was meant to have Air Con, but its a bit different anyway as it uses a Range Rover Classic as a donor vehicle, and somethings are not quite the same as a Disco. In the end I ripped the air con out as although I have the extended grille, it still wouldn't all fit back in. Looking back, on reflection I think most of this is down to the oil cooler as the range rover oil cooler is a PITA, replaced with a smaller Mocal one.

Oh and battery, mine is also behind the cubby box - optima red top fits nicely in - haven't done the connections yet, but I think along the gearbox tunnel is the way to go.....job for tomorrow, after I've put the new starter motor on!!

Cheers

Jeff
simmonj

Return to Mechanical & Structural